MAKAI GOLF FACTS
COURSE NAME: Makai Golf Club at The St. Regis Princeville Resort
MAKAI GOLF COURSE OVERVIEW:
- The Makai has long been considered one of Hawaii's premier championship layouts, featuring 27 holes of golf in the spectacular Princeville Resort on Kauai's north shore. Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr., the Makai opened in 1971 and has, over the years, been ranked as one of Hawaii's top golf experiences, appearing on numerous “Top 100” lists.
- The original design of the Makai consisted of three nine-hole courses extending like spokes from a clubhouse and encompassing 200 acres. Each nine had a distinctive personality and scenic flavor: the Lakes Course, winding its way around serene lakes; the Ocean Course, running to the magnificent coastline and back; and the Woods Course meandering through native woodlands.
- In October 2008, the course closed for extensive renovation, reopening in early 2010. Makai Golf Club now features two uniquely individual courses:
- The 18-hole Makai Course (reopened January 16, 2010). Incorporating the original Lakes and Ocean nines, the new Makai Course plays to a par 72 with four sets of tees extending the course to more than 7,200 yards.
- The 9-hole Woods Course (reopened April 1, 2010). Ideal for the casual golfer who wants to enjoy a leisurely 9-hole round in a relaxed layout, the Woods winds through native woodlands set against a backdrop of magnificent mountain views.
- The course renovation was implemented in conjunction with the renovation of its sister property, The Princeville Hotel, which reopened in September 2009 as The St. Regis Princeville Resort.
LOCATION: 4080 Lei O Papa Road, Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii. Located on Kauai's north shore, approximately 45 minutes drive from the Lihue Airport.
MAKAI GOLF SIGNATURE HOLES
HOLE 3 - Par 3: The third hole is as challenging as it is spectacular. This perilous par 3 requires a short iron shot from a teeing area elevated 100 feet above a protected green below. A beautiful lake fronting the green mingles with the beauty of Hanalei Bay in the background and the north shore's breathtaking mountains. With the trade winds blowing from behind and the enormous drop to the green, usually two clubs less are required, making this beauty less beastly.
Yards: 181 153 150 130
HOLE 7 - Par 3 An exceptionally frightening par 3, while at the same time featuring the tranquil beauty of the Pacific Ocean and Hanalei Bay. From the championship tees, one must carry nearly 200 yards over a ravine that is 160 feet deep--with the sea churning against the black rocks at the bottom--to a green fronted only by a cliff garnished with tropical vegetation and trees.
Yards: 213 173 155 120
HOLE 13 - Par 3 This testy par 3 is normally played into the stiff Pacific trade winds, requiring a well-struck shot with plenty of club. The Pacific Ocean lies beyond, providing frequent winter sightings of humpback whales, with soaring albatross and the Kilauea Lighthouse in the background. Be sure to hit several extra clubs into the stiff wind as the bunkers and steep face will not allow for a roll-up approach.
Yards: 255 198 175 145
HOLE 18 - Par 5 A thrilling par 5 where the golfer coaxes his ball in successive shots over two large lakes to a solitary green fronted by water. This finishing hole reshuffled the leader board during every Women's Kemper Open the course hosted. A gusty, well-placed drive over the first lake can put you in position to go-for-broke over the lake protecting the green. Even a perfect lay-up second shot doesn't assure a par 5, as the wedge shot still must clear the lake.
Yards: 567 534 505 403
MAKAI GOLF 2010 RATES AND PACKAGES
Rates at Makai Golf Club include a shared golf cart with GPS, range balls, access to the
practice range, and a logo bag tag. The prices below are subject to Hawaii state taxes. All prices are subject to change without notice.
MAKAI COURSE (18 Holes):
Prime tee times - $200 Non-prime (after 1:00 p.m.) - $160
Junior Players (age 17 and under) - 50% off the standard rates when accompanied by an adult player
Kamaaina Rates: (Hawaii residents only; current Hawaii drivers license/id required)
Prime tee times - $70 Non-prime (after 1:00 p.m.) - $60
WOODS COURSE (9 Holes):
Standard Rate: $50
Junior (age 17 and under): 50% off the standard rate when accompanied by an adult player
$25 with shared cart; $15 walking the course
Junior Players (age 17 and under) - free when accompanied by an adult player
GUESTS OF PRINCEVILLE RESORT:
Guests of The St. Regis, Westin, and other properties located within the Princeville Resort area may receive a special rate. Contact the golf shop or your hotel concierge for more information.
Callaway Rental Clubs $55 (includes two sleeves of Callaway logo balls)
Callaway Rental Shoes $15
MULTI-DAY PASS: a great value for multiple rounds on the Makai and Woods courses; must be used within 7 days; nontransferable; may be used for Makai Golf Shop merchandise as well as golf.
Three rounds (in 7 days) $399
ROOM AND GOLF:
Luxuriate at Makai Golf Club's sister property, The St. Regis Princeville Resort, and enjoy golf as part of your stay. Visit the hotel's web site to view their most current “stay and play” golf package at www.stregisprinceville.com